We here at The Woods Gifts love holidays, and one of our favorites is Mother’s Day. And one of our favorite gifts to give are WoodWick Candles. Here are a few fun facts about the holiday that celebrates mothers nationwide:
- People make more phone calls on Mother’s Day than any other day of the year.
- Forerunners of Mother’s Day were clubs organized by Ann Reeves Jarvis of West Virginia. They were called “Mother’s Day Work Clubs.” These clubs taught women how to care for their children.
- In 1870, Julia Ward Howe wrote “Mother’s Day Proclamation.” This document urged mothers to unite to promote world peace, and in 1873, she lobbied for “Mother’s Peace Day” to be celebrated on June 2 of every year.
- Officially, Mother’s Day was started by Anna Jarvis (the daughter of Ann Reeves Jarvis). Anna Jarvis started Mother’s Day as a way to honor a mother’s sacrifices for her children. The first Mother’s Day celebration was held in May of 1908 at a Methodist church in West Virginia.
- By 1912, many towns, states and churches were celebrating Mother’s Day annually and in 1914, President Woodrow Wilson officially established Mother’s Day, which would be celebrated on the second Sunday in May.
So how will you be celebrating Mother’s Day this year? We have a few suggestions on what to get Mom! What better way to show you care and appreciate everything she does for you than with one of WoodWick Candle’s beautiful and unique candles?
The best thing about a scented candle is it can set just about any tone or mood you want. So if you want Mom to have a nice and relaxing time, you could try one of our Ribbonwick Candles. Thanks to the unique way the wick burns in these candles, they are mesmerizing to watch and really fill a room with their lovely scent. We find sandalwood to be a particularly relaxing fragrance, but, really, you can’t go wrong with any of them. You’re sure to find the perfect one for your mother, no matter what scent she prefers!
For more information on these candles or any of the other ones we carry, call 1-888-838-4067 or visit one of our Retail Locations.