Candle Burning Tips
- Keep a candle lit for one hour per inch of diameter. So, if you have a 3-inch diameter candle burn it at least three hours. This practice allows the heat from the flame enough time to reach the outer edges of the candle so the wax melts evenly. We’ve all seen examples of candles that have burned down the center and never reached the edges. In those cases the candles were not burned long enough to heat all of the wax around the perimeter. Unfortunately, there’s really nothing you can do to fix them short of scraping out the wax and making a new candle by yourself!
- Trim the wick to approximately 1/4 inch before you light it. If your wick is too long the flame will be too big and could catch something else on fire. A too-large flame is also more sooty. If a candle begins to smoke, or if the flame height is greater than 1½ inches, gently blow out the candle, allow the wick and wax to cool, and trim the wick by gently running your finger across the top of it. Remove all wick trimmings before relighting.
- Always burn votives and tea lights inside a holder, not on a plate. A votive may remind you of a pillar candle, which can burn simply standing on a plate, but the heat of the flame on such a small-sized candle melts the wax too quickly to contain on a plate. A holder with solid sides that are higher than the top of the candle is appropriate for both votives and tea lights.
- Keep the candle away from drafts. Avoid having a candle burn where a ceiling fan, air conditioner or breeze will affect the flame.
- Never move or handle a candle while it’s burning or while the wax is hot. This is very unsafe, and pouring or removing liquid wax from the vessel will cause the wick to extinguish or “drown” in the wax.
- For Hearthwick candles, light the wick all the way across not just on one end. This helps the candle burn evenly.
Just follow these simple rules to get the most burning time, safety, and enjoyment out of your candles.
Q: My candle won’t stay lit. What do I do?
A: Call 800-827-2231 to contact Virginia Gift Brands, the company that makes the candles. (We are a retailer of the candles but we DO NOT make them.)
Thank you for your interest in our gift items! If you have questions that are not answered on our site or are unhappy with our products or services, please give us a chance to correct the problem! Simply email us at gifts @ TheWoodsGifts.com.